ARTICLESSince the late 1990s, I've written many articles about or involving the Java programming language and its APIs for JavaWorld, InformIT, other clients, and myself. This page presents various articles.
Android Studio for beginnersAndroid Studio for beginners is a four-part JavaWorld series that introduces Android Studio by showing how to install this software and exploring its user interface while developing an app.
Beginning AndroidBeginning Android is a seven-part SitePoint series that introduces the reader to Android 2.3.3 app development by showing how to set up the necessary environment and build/launch a simple app.
- Beginning Android, Part 1: Install the Android SDK
- Beginning Android, Part 2: Install an Android Platform
- Beginning Android, Part 3: Explore and Build Your First App
- Beginning Android, Part 4: Create an Android Virtual Device
- Beginning Android, Part 5: Launch the Android Virtual Device
- Beginning Android, Part 6: Install and Run Your First App
- Beginning Android, Part 7: Develop Apps with Eclipse
Design patterns: the big pictureDesign patterns: the big picture is a three-part JavaWorld series that presents a broad overview of design patterns, starting with software design patterns and continuing with other kinds of patterns.
Emboss Images Using Android's Renderscript APIEmboss Images Using Android's Renderscript API is a SitePoint article that provides primers on embossing and Android's Renderscript API, and shows how to use this API to emboss images.
Generics 101Generics 101 is a three-part InformIT series that introduces and explores the suite of language features introduced by Java 5 to promote type safety in Java code.
Getting Started with Android Library ProjectsGetting Started with Android Library Projects is a three-part SitePoint series that introduces Android's library projects feature and shows how to use it in app contexts.
Java 101Java 101 is a JavaWorld series that guides the beginner into Java language features and APIs. The articles presented below are for the updated series (not the original series).
- Article 1: Learn Java from the ground up
- Article 2: Elementary Java language features
- Article 3: Evaluate Java expressions with operators
- Article 4: Deciding and iterating with Java statements
- Article 5: Classes and objects in Java
- Article 6: Inheritance in Java, Part 1
- Article 7: Inheritance in Java, Part 2
- Article 8: Polymorphism in Java
- Article 9: Class and object initialization in Java
- Article 10: Interfaces in Java
- Article 11: Regular expressions in Java, Part 1
- Article 12: Regular expressions in Java, Part 2
Java 101: the next generationJava 101: the next generation is a JavaWorld series that guides the reader through some of the newer Java language syntax, APIs, and libraries that are most relevant to Java developers today.
- Article 1: It's time for a change
- Article 2: Java concurrency without the pain, Part 1
- Article 3: Java concurrency without the pain, Part 2
- Article 4: The essential Java language features tour, Part 1
- Article 5: The essential Java language features tour, Part 2
- Article 6: The essential Java language features tour, Part 3
- Article 7: The essential Java language features tour, Part 4
- Article 8: The essential Java language features tour, Part 5
- Article 9: The essential Java language features tour, Part 6
- Article 10: The essential Java language features tour, Part 7
Java ME 8 and the Internet of ThingsJava ME 8 and the Internet of Things is a JavaWorld article that presents an overview and a resource guide for developers new to embedded Java and the IoT.
Java SE 8's New FeaturesIn early 2014, I wrote four articles (including a two-part series) on Java SE 8's new compact profiles and integer APIs, language features, and Streams API for InformIT.
Using Transitions to Simplify JavaFX AnimationsUsing Transitions to Simplify JavaFX Animations is an InformIT article that explores JavaFX 8's animation transition classes, which simplify common animation tasks.